Monday, September 12, 2011

The Common Road by Silas H. Perkins



The Common Road
Silas H. Perkins

I want to travel the common road
With the great crowd surging by,
Where there's many a laugh and many a load,
And many a smile and sigh.

I want to be on the common way
With its endless tramping feet,
In the summer bright and winter gray,
In the noonday sun and heat.

In the cool of evening with shadows nigh,
At dawn, when the sun breaks clear,
I want the great crowd passing by,
To ken what they see and hear.

I want to be one of the common herd,
Not live in a sheltered way,
Want to be thrilled, want to be stirred
By the great crowd day by day;
To glimpse the restful valleys deep,
To toil up the rugged hill,
To see the brooks which shyly creep,
To have the torrents thrill.

I want to laugh with the common man
Wherever he chance to be,
I want to aid him when I can
Whenever there's need of me.

I want to lend a helping hand
Over the rough and steep
To a child too young to understand-
To comfort those who weep.
I want to live and work and plan
With the great crowd surging by,
To mingle with the common man,
No better or worse than I.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...