Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Lover's Sacrifice by Victor Hugo




The Lover's Sacrifice
Author: Victor Hugo
("Fuyons ensemble.")
[HERNANI, Act II.]
Translated by LORD F. LEVESON GOWER


DONNA SOL. Together let us fly!

HERNANI. Together? No! the hour is past for flight.
Dearest, when first thy beauty smote my sight,
I offered, for the love that bade me live,
Wretch that I was, what misery had to give:
My wood, my stream, my mountain. Bolder grown,
By thy compassion to an outlaw shown,
The outlaw's meal beneath the forest shade,
The outlaw's couch far in the greenwood glade,
I offered. Though to both that couch be free,
I keep the scaffold block reserved for me.

DONNA SOL. And yet you promised?

HERNANI _(falls on his knee.)_ Angel! in this hour,
Pursued by vengeance and oppressed by power--
Even in this hour when death prepares to close
In shame and pain a destiny of woes--
Yes, I, who from the world proscribed and cast,
Have nursed one dark remembrance of the past,
E'en from my birth in sorrow's garment clad,
Have cause to smile and reason to be glad;
For you have loved the outlaw and have shed
Your whispered blessings on his forfeit head.

DONNA SOL. Let me go with you.

HERNANI. No! I will not rend
From its fair stem the flower as I descend.
Go--I have smelt its perfume. Go--resume
All that this grasp has brushed away of bloom.
Wed the old man,--believe that ne'er we met;
I seek my shade--be happy, and forget!

The original poem in French

Dona Sol.
Hernani ! Dieu ! Je tremble !
Eh bien ! Hâtons-nous donc alors, fuyons ensemble !
Hernani.
Ensemble ! Non, non ; l' heure en est passée ! Hélas !
Dona Sol, à mes yeux quand tu te révélas,
bonne, et daignant m' aimer d' un amour secourable,
j' ai bien pu vous offrir, moi, pauvre misérable,
ma montagne, mon bois, mon torrent ; -ta pitié
m' enhardissait, -mon pain de proscrit, la moitié
du lit vert et touffu que la forêt me donne ;
mais t' offrir la moitié de l' échafaud ! Pardonne,
dona Sol ! L' échafaud, -c' est à moi seul !
Dona Sol.
Pourtant
vous me l' aviez promis !
Hernani, tombant à ses genoux .
Ange ! Ah ! Dans cet instant
où la mort vient peut-être, où s' approche dans l' ombre
un sombre dénouement pour un destin bien sombre,
je le déclare ici, proscrit, traînant au flanc
un souci profond, né dans un berceau sanglant,
si noir que soit le deuil qui s' épand sur ma vie,
je suis un homme heureux et je veux qu' on m' envie !
Car vous m' avez aimé ! Car vous me l' avez dit !
Car vous avez tout bas béni mon front maudit.
Dona Sol.
Souffre que je te suive.

Hernani.
Ah ! Ce serait un crime
que d' arracher la fleur en tombant dans l' abîme !
Va ; j' en ai respiré le parfum ! C' est assez !
Renoue à d' autres jours tes jours par moi froissés !
épouse ce vieillard ! C' est moi qui te délie ;
je rentre dans ma nuit. Toi, sois heureuse, oublie !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...