Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Song by Edith Nesbit


Vicente Romero Redondo Art

Song
Edith Nesbit

Oh, baby, baby, baby dear,
We lie alone together here;
The snowy gown and cap and sheet
With lavender are fresh and sweet;
Through half-closed blinds the roses peer
To see and love you, baby dear.

We are so tired, we like to lie
Just doing nothing, you and I
Within the darkened quiet room.
The sun sends dusk rays through the gloom,
Which is no gloom since you are here,
My little life, my baby dear.

Soft sleepy mouth so vaguely pressed
Against your new-made mother's breast,
Soft little hands in mine I fold,
Soft little feet I kiss and hold
Round soft smooth head and tiny ear,
All mine, my own, my baby dear.

And he we love is far away!
But he will come some happy day,
You need but me, and I can rest
At peace with you beside me pressed
There are no questions, longings vain,
No murmurings, nor doubt, nor pain,
Only content and we are here,
My baby dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...